Cultural Product

Cultural Product
Serving Suggestion

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Slave Lives


This hot glue piece sprayed with copper was re-squeduled from a show last year. I had made it for VICTORIA! at Ocular Lab in Melbourne, hosted by my besty great artist Elvis Richardson.
I love bling, and think it is so interesting wearing loads of jewellry. Ostentatious.
Anyway, the slogan comes from the Police signs; "SAVE LIVES", but in a way we are slaves to life. I don't want to live forever, but I also don't want to die right now, and I really want to enjoy life, but sometimes it is so hard.
When we wear amulets they can serve various purposes. I've always been intrigued by ritual and faith, every culture has an abundance of ways to demonstrate their status. Symbols and iconology...carrying your wealth...we serve our cultural purposes and increasingly I am ceasing to believe in free will. We are products of our genes and society. I am an amalgam of everyone I have ever met, to some degree, and believe I am free, and make my choices. But.
Another part of this work (not pictured) says "Made by slaves". Because much is, whether we like it or not.

No comments: